Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Jalapeño Corn Casserole

Every Thanksgiving, there is one dish that my mother has to prepare or the entire day is ruined. I suppose every family has one of those dishes for special holidays and if you like the spice, you’ll want to add this one to your featured side items.

In all honesty, this recipe did not originate from my mom. It is the handy work of a schoolteacher by the name of Joan Bane. She lived and taught government in New London, Texas. Her son actually married my cousin so I guess you could call this a family recipe by marriage.

Good food should be the result of good match making and that’s what you get with this side. There is just enough cream cheese and corn to soften the hot on the peppers. However, if you think this dish might limit out your taste buds, simply cut back on the peppers.

I will warn you though. This is the dish you’ll keep going back to the fridge for along with your turkey sandwiches. You can’t beat it around midnight with an ice cold coke. I watched my brother-in-law finish three helpings of it last November. A sight to see.

5 cans shoe peg corn (white)

1 can jalapenos (small)

½ stick butter

3 Tablespoons of flour

2 eight ounces of cream cheese

¼ cup of milk

Drain the shoe peg corn and jalepenos. Either let your cream cheese soften naturally or put it in the microwave for a minute or two just to get it soft. In a mixing bowl, add cream cheese, butter, flour and milk. Stir in corn and jalapenos and mix thoroughly.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment