Friday, May 13, 2011

Texas Summer Sangria

Peaches will be ripening soon which means my father will be on the move with his usual deliveries. Like Santa delivering presents, my father delivers peaches and I along with the rest of the worthy East Texans will receive a golden box of goodness ready to slice and eat.

As funny as it sounds, there is nothing in this world like getting a big box of peaches. It's one of those unexpected gifts that you don't think about as I really don't keep up with the ripening of peaches. That's like Almanac stuff and who has the time to read that? So when I do get peaches, it's like I won the lottery and I become a kid ready to plan my next kitchen experiment.

For those of you not quite ready to experiment, here's a tried and true recipe that's sure to add some flavor with your backyard cookout this summer. It's a real Texas treat and it's extremely easy to make. Especially in big batches and I'm all about the volume which translates into friends over which translates into a really great time.

Texas Summer Sangria 

1 liter white wine
1 lemon or lime, thinly sliced
3-4 tablespoons of sugar or honey
1 fresh peach, sliced into wedges
1 seedless orange, thinly sliced
4 to 5 sprigs of fresh mint

Mix the wine and lemon slices with sugar or honey, and stir until dissolved. Add the peaches, oranges and mint. Makes 1 1/2 quarts.

Refresh yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment